I agree…it seems strange but I thought, “Why not try it? I’ve got lots of blueberries!” My family was not supportive of the idea so I waited until I was hosting a meeting at my house tonight to make it and have out for our snacks.
I don’t have much left and the plates were all clean when I rinsed them so it must have been liked by many! One 9-year-old even made a point to come up and let me know that she really liked it and my handsome-fella admitted that it was indeed good.
It is easy and quick to throw together.
original recipe from Southern Living July 2010
Combine together in a 1.5 qt bowl:
- 2 cups coarsely chopped, fresh blueberries
- 1 cup whole fresh blueberries
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (I only used one as I knew it was a “tame” crowd coming)
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper (I then cut probably about 1 Tablespoon more to add as I didn’t think the balance was right with all the colors)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
Serve immediately, or cover and chill 8 hours. Serve with tortilla chips.