We tried a new recipe at our house this week and it was a winner. It has the two characteristics of a recipe that I love: fast and easy! Then it has two more loves for us…tortellini AND ground beef, I never would have thought to put them together.
Our life here in the Smith house has been going a little fast too….not so much easy but not too difficult. I have had many thoughts of blog entries to write and share with you, but things just are moving too fast to sit down and write at this point. Meals at our house have not been to creative either as my schedule has been very full. But I did finally try something new this week and since everyone liked it at our table, I thought I would share it with you.
I first found the recipe and pinned it to Pinterest and then when we made it had to change a few things to fit the ingredients we had in the house. So here is my version:
Baked Tortellini Casserole
In a large skillet or chicken fryer pan:
- Brown 1 lb of lean ground beef
Add to the beef before it is totally browned:
- 1 small, onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp of kosher salt
- pepper to taste
While the beef is browning, prepare according to package instructions:
- 1 large (12 oz) bag of dried tortellini (We had cheese and spinach tortellini in the pantry. I cooked it on the shortest end of the cooking time so that the tortellini would finish cooking in the oven.)
Once the beef is thoroughly cooked through and drained, stir in:
- 2, 14-oz cans of diced or petite diced tomatoes (could use crushed tomatoes too)
- 1, 8-oz can of tomato sauce
Stir into the beef mixture:
- prepared tortellini
- 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese (we mixed mozzarella and Parmesan)
Transfer to a casserole dish and bake at 350° for about 20-30 minutes
Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups of Italian cheese of your choice over the top and serve!