SCORE! I had no clue what to make for dinner tonight. I confess…I have not done any meal planning since before Mother’s Day. Life has been a wee-bit hectic! I have made it by with ground beef dishes, quesadillas, and burritos…but I needed something more substantial to prepare for my family. I flipped open a family cookbook and found “Randi’s Chicken Enchiladas”….a recipe I submitted but haven’t made in almost nine years. I checked out the ingredients and thanks to some shredded chicken in the freezer I had all the required items.
I decided to make mexican rice, a can of corn, and pull out the jello I made earlier this week. Score—-a meal without a trip to the grocery store.
Here is the recipe; It gets four smiley faces at my house.
Randi’s Chicken Enchiladas
Combine in a bowl and mix well:
- 2 to 3 cups of chopped, cooked chicken
- 3/4 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 c shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (ok, confession I had shredded fiesta cheese and two thick slices of pepper jack which I chopped up to use for the 1 1/2 cups of cheese needed here)
- 1/3 c chopped onion
- 1/2 c sour cream
Spoon the chicken mixture onto:
- 8 medium tortillas (or 12 small ones)
Roll to enclose the filling and place seam side down in a 9×13 baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Melt in a saucepan:
- 1/4 c margarine/butter
Blend into saucepan:
- 1/4 c flour
Gradually stir in:
- 1 can chicken broth (or make your own with 14 oz water and two bullion cubes)
Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 4-oz can of diced green chilies
Cook the sauce until heated through, stirring constantly.
Pour over tortillas
Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- 1/4 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
Bake for 5 minutes to let cheese melt.