This was so easy to throw together late in the morning on Saturday and then dinner was ready just before we sat down to watch some College football. I love recipes like this. It is not quite a “magic pot” recipe as you do have to cook the Italian sausage prior to putting it in the slow cooker, but other than that —easy!
I found this recipe via some link to myrecipes.com back in August. Everyone was happy with it and I think my girls tried some vegetables that they normally would never try (I didn’t reveal the contents until everyone had eaten!). This made just enough to feed four….but it was our only thing besides some bread. So you could stretch it if you had not only bread but also a big salad. I think when we have some holiday company I may try to have this again but I will put in twice as much sausage and a tad more vegetables.
Mamma Mia Italian Stew
Brown in a non-stick pan:
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used sweet as my girls don’t go for the hot version. Also I browned it in the links and then chopped it into bite-sized pieces after it was cooked through)
Combine in a large slow cooker:
- the cooked sausage- sliced
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups sliced green beans (I used frozen Trader Joe’s green beans)
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 yellow squash, cubed (next time I will peel the squash or at least take off some of the peel…it wasn’t very good)
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 15 oz can Italian-style tomato sauce (yes they actually do have this…I had never purchased any prior to this but basically it is tomato sauce with Italian seasonings all in it. So you could use plain tomato sauce and add seasonings yourself if you needed to)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
That is what the recipe says then I added, all to my taste:
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- dried thyme
- white pepper
Stir everything well.
Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
It was so easy. Definitely one you could prep the night before and then dump into the slow cooker just before you walk out the door for work or a busy day running errands.
I also made a Slab Apple Pie for dessert.