So what do you cook on a day when you realize that the pork tenderloin is still in the freezer? Ham Casserole was our answer tonight! I told Brad that menu planning does me no good if I fail to take things out of the freezer. Oh well!
I purchased several ham steaks last month when they were on sale and knew that we would eat them eventually. If you have more than four people in your family you will want to double the recipe as we had just enough for all of us.
In a 2 qt casserole dish mix:
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small can of mushrooms, drained
- 2 Tablespoons of chopped onion
Add to the mix:
- 2 cups ham, chopped ( I used one ham steak which was just a bit shy of 2 cups)
- 1 cup elbow macaroni (uncooked)
- white pepper to taste (I used white pepper so that my girls didn’t realize that it was peppered…there was a time they wouldn’t touch it if they saw it in something!)
- (you can also add some pimentos or some chopped red pepper too)
Bake, covered in a 375 degree oven for 50 minutes (or until macaroni is tender)
Uncover and sprinkle with:
- 1/2 c cheese, grated
Return to the oven and allow the cheese to melt.
Enjoy—it is an easy one to throw together and at my house it brings smiles all around the table.