We tried a new recipe at our house tonight and it was a winner for everyone. I joke that my girls won’t eat anything out of a bowl except cereal, but this is one soup they said they would gladly eat again. I think that is because it was easy to pick out just what they wanted—the sausage and the tortellini!
I found the recipe on the blog “CheapGoodEats“. I thought it would be fun to try out turnips on my family. Well, it turned out that I never bought a turnip and I made the soup anyway with a few changes of my own. So if you want the original recipe you will have to click on the CheapGoodEats link in the first sentence of this paragraph…if you want my copy, keep reading!
Tortellini Soup with Sausage and Vegetables
Brown on the stove top:
- 1 lb of bulk Italian sausage (all broken up into chunks)
While sausage is browning, chop:
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
In a large stockpot:
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil
Add to the heated oil:
- the chopped onions and garlic
Saute until the onions are clear (about 10 minutes)
Add to the stockpot:
- 1 can of drained, cut green beans
- 1 can of fire roasted tomotoes that you have pureed making about 2 cups of tomato puree. (I dumped the tomatoes in a large measuring cup and then used an immersion blender to puree. Then I added a little water to bring my puree to the 2 cup mark)
- cooked (and drained) sausage
- 7 cups of beef broth (the original recipe says 6 to 8 cups…I make mine from bouillon cubes so I prepared it earlier while the sausage was browning)
Simmer for 20-30 minutes
Bring the soup to a bubble and stir in:
- 12 ounces of cheese tortellini
Cook for the time allotted on the package (mine was 11 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- healthy dose of pepper
Allow the soup to simmer for 5 more minutes.
It took me about 45 minutes to make this dish and it makes about 8 servings.
I would think if you wanted to do this dish in a vegetarian style you could use vegetable broth and some tofu meat crumbles (I don’t know much about them but a vegetarian friend of mine uses it to make the taco soup recipe I’ve posted)