This week we are doing Camp Treasure Island at our church (FCC’s version of Vacation Bible School). So cooking hasn’t been on the top of my list. However, on Tuesday I did help prepare this chicken. Brad did the actual cooking and then the cleaning (his designated task for Camp week as the girls and I rush out the door at 5:25 to get there for a 6:00 start). My parents were here to enjoy the chicken with us. The sauce is great and can be made just before preparing the chicken or even the night before. We found the recipe on the food network site.
Easy After Work BBQ Sauce for Chicken
In a small bowl, whisk together:
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 T packed dark brown sugar
- 3 T apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar if you don’t have apple cider)
- 2 T minced onion
- 2 T Dijon mustard
- 1/4 to 1 t Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
Then stir in:
- 3 T chopped scallions (white and light green parts)
- 1 1/2 t lime juice
Cover and refrigerate up to 1 week.
Making the Chicken:
Prepare you grill appropriately.
- 3.5 lbs of chicken, bone-in, cut into pieces. We love dark meat at our house so I usually buy a pack of dark meat pieces.
- salt and pepper the chicken
Put the chicken on the grill and grill for about 10 minutes per side.
Put 1/2 the BBQ sauce in a small bowl for drizzling and serving later.
Baste the chicken with the remaining sauce and grill for 5 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter, drizzle with some of the reserved sauce.
We like to prepare corn on the cob and a fruit salad to go with our meal.