Gotta love a quick and easy soup to throw together on a cold day. This is one you can put in the slow cooker and then enjoy dinner later in the day.
Thanks to my friend Paige, from Austin, TX for this recipe idea.
Santa Fe Chicken Soup
Place into the slow cooker:
- 3-4 cups of chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 can of whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans of pinto beans, UNdrained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, UNdrained
- 1 can of Ro-Tel
- 1/2 lb of Mild Mexican Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 1/2 lb of regular Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 1 envelope Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
- 3/4 cup of milk
Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until the cheese is melted and warmed through. (Mine took close to 4 hours) Do not boil.
Serve with tortilla chips and sliced green onions.
What I did to make the preparation easy is the other night when I cooked 3 chicken breasts for dinner (check it out here), I put the other 4 in the package on the stove to boil. Then I had 4 cups of chicken in the freezer ready for use at a later time. So on Saturday when it was snowy outside, I had one child not feeling well just wanting to hang with her Mom, and needing to get the house cleaned up —I was able to quickly throw dinner together and not have to be in the kitchen for long.