I just love Thanksgiving. Here are some of the lessons I learned from yesterday:
- Electronic Meat Thermometer gives confidence when cooking a bird
- Cranberry-Jalapeno Relish is a definite keeper (I will share the recipe below)
- Pumpkin Pie with homemade crust rocked
- Pilgrim hat place cards were cute and a great way to fill the days off from school with a project.
- Electric Roasting Pan is a wonderful way to cook a turkey—-frees up the oven!
- I could eat Thanksgiving Dinner without turkey and not miss it.
- Prior planning makes the “day of” go so smoothly.
- Don’t watch a football game late into the night when you know the inevitable results of the game.
- We have many things to be thankful for this year.
- Having family to share the day with is priceless.
Now for that recipe I promised:
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Stir together and chill for 2 hours before serving. We drained ours a bit as it was too soupy for my taste when we took it out of the refrigerator.
This was a hit with all the adults at the table.