This is one of Brad’s favorite dishes (and I’m pretty partial to it too). It is NOT a healthy dinner but it is yummy on a chilly night. I got the recipe from a grocery store in Texas (oh, how I miss HEB). Brad and I added ham to it and named it “Southwest Casserole”. I not only like how it tastes but I LOVE how easy it is to put together. You mix it all in one bowl and dump it in the casserole dish. Then you can have the kitchen cleaned up before you are sitting down to eat!
Preheat oven to 350
- 20 oz of shredded hash brown potatoes (I buy the 30 oz and eyeball 20 ounces)
- 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb of ham, cubed
- 1 cup of Monterey Jack Cheese (or colby-jack)
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 cans of chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish
Bake 40-50 minutes uncovered, until bubbling and lightly browned around the edges.
Sprinkle about a 1/2 cup of cheese over the top during the last 10 minutes of cooking