I mentioned this recipe the other day when I had to boil some chicken. I saved the extra in anticipation of making this chicken salad.
I like chicken salad but I’m picky about it. I like flavor and unfortunately many chicken salads lack flavor. This one has that southwest taste that I love–hope you do too!
Cinco de Mayo Chicken Salad
In a small bowl, stir together the:
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 T lime juice (or lemon…I used lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 dashes of Tabasco (more or less to taste)
Taste the dressing you just made and see if you are good with the seasonings, add more if desired. I added a dash or two more of cumin and also white pepper.
In a separate bowl combine:
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 small, ripe avocados, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro.
Pour the dressing over the chicken and vegetables and mix well.
Chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Makes about 4 servings.
Found the recipe on http://www.texascooking.com
I served it on a bed of shredded lettuce and some chopped tomatoes on the side. Brad and I were able to eat almost all of it for lunch with about 1/3 cup leftover.