This week we had the pleasure of having one of my favorite Aunts and her family visit. It was great to have them with us. I was able to try the Blueberry Citrus Loaf recipe again and it was better this time than before and I also made dinner two of the three nights they were here.
I’m going to share the Chicken Casserole recipe I made on Tuesday night. It makes a ton. I would actually suggest you prepare as directed and then pour into two dishes- one to bake and one to freeze or give away.
- 3-4 lbs of chicken breasts
While the onions are doing their thing cook:
- 1 package of frozen spinach (after cooking, drain but reserve the liquid)
Place into a blender (or tall bowl for hand blender)
- the cooked spinach
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2, 4 oz cans of green chilies, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
Blen well and pour into a large bowl and add:
- 1 pint sour cream
- reserved water from the spinach
(basically you are thinning out the sour cream a bit)
Stir it all up.
Shred the chicken.
- tortillas (8-10)
- shredded monterey jack or Mexican Cheese (12 oz or so)
In a casserole dish (large if you are putting it all into one) layer:
- tortilla strips (cut each tortilla into about 4-5 strips)
- green sauce
Continue to layer and end with cheese on top!
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
You can make this ahead and put it in the fridge for a day before baking it!